Just a scattershot review of new from the Portland breakfast scene, from various sources:
- Sugar Mama’s Cafe tweeted that they are re-opening at 320 SW Alder (no date given). This is good news and bad. I love their cinnamon rolls and biscuits and gravy, but they will be right across the street from Breakfast Empire HQ.
- Speaking of re-opening, my friends (and fellow former Memphians) at Blues City Biscuits just announced, rather vaguely, on their Facebook page that they will be re-opening.
- As I first reported here (I love getting to say that!), the folks at Killer Burger are opening up a southern/Southwestern style place called Hatch, where the old Morning Star Cafe used to be, at SW 3rd and Morrison. Now Eater PDX has gotten in touch with them for details. Projected opening date remains March 1.
- Eater also got the menus from Tasty N Alder, which will open for brunch February 6. Watch for my review around February 7, as I intend to go with this lovely lady (I love getting to say that, too!) to check it out.
- And once again, thanks to Eater, I hear that the SE Wine Collective has started a monthly brunch at $32.50 per, with a three-course menu and sparkling wine. Details here.
- Here at the Empire, I have decided to start my own kind of Portland breakfast meetup deal, but not on meetup.com — rather, on my Breakfast Bulletin newsletter. There’s about 250 people on there, so subscribe today, and let’s start meeting and eating!
And keep up with all things Paul – hiking, traveling, food and spirituality – over at PaulGerald.com.